Saturday, September 17, 2016

My Root Head Doll goes to the State Fair!!

Thanks to one of our King County members of The Quilt Barn Doll Club, those of us who live off-the-beaten-path, in this case I-5, were able to easily enter dolls in the State Fair which happens in Puyallup (Pew-Al-Up), WA in September. Several of us took our kind member up on her offer to deliver our dolls, paperwork in hand, to the fair on the appointed day, saving us several hours of travel.

We brought our dolls to the August meeting, having done the paperwork for our entries on-line ahead of time. I may or may not get to the fair before it closes at the end of the month, but my doll got there and so, for that, I am grateful. I AM curious about how she did, but I'm sure that she enjoyed all the attention, regardless of whether she won a blue ribbon or not!!

Another project I have been working on, but not too steadily, are my first "assemblage" dolls. I have been trolling the local thrift stores for suitable materials, having looked at other people's dolls on Pinterest. I even pick up washers, bottle caps and other bits of metal off the parking lots and sidewalks. (I carry hand sanitizer in my car.)

Here is what I have done so far, which is, I agree, not much:
The heads are made of DAS, a kind of air-drying "clay." The bodies are recognizable to wine drinkers as wine bottle openers. I'd have no use for these if I couldn't make them into something else, as I don't
drink wine, even though I've been told how healthy it is. 

I will post more photos of these two when I do more work on them. So far, I haven't found anything that strikes me as good for their legs. I guess I should go back to Pinterest and get inspired. It's a great site for that!!


No comments:

Post a Comment